Friday, 2 December 2011
The popular online women's forum Indusladies has compiled a Diwali Sweets and Deserts ebook .Recipes are contributed by forum members and food bloggers all over the world.
It's a free eBook and you can download from here
- Methi leaves : 1 bunch
- Tomato : 1
- Onion : 1 small
- Green chilies : 4
- All ingredients of popu or tadaka
- Chop methi, onion,tomato and chillies.In chopped methi, add little bit salt and let it rest for some time and squeeze the water from leaves. This takes off the bitterness of methi.
- In a kadai, add oil and do the tempering.Now add onion, green chilies and let it fry for some time.Add, tomato, chopped methi leaves,salt, turmeric and cover the lid and let it cook.
This is my entry to event 'Only' curries conducted by Janaki's kitchen
Monday, 15 August 2011
- Maida\all purpose flour : 2 1/2 cups
- Sooji : 3 tb sp
- Butter : 4tb sp
- Milk: as needed
- Sugar+Jaggery : 1 cup
- In a mixing bowl add maida,salt,sooji and mix well.Now add butter, give a nice mix.Add warm milk and prepare a soft dough like how we prepare for poori.Cover with lid and let it rest for 15-20 min.
- Now divide the dough into small small balls.Take Gavvla peeta or fork.Apply oil on that .Roll the ball on peeta or fork from top to bottom by pressing to make a shape of shell.
- In a kadai, heat oil for deep fry.Fry the prepared shells in batches till they turn to golden brown color.
- In another kadai, add jaggery and little water just to wet the jaggery.Check for one string consistency.
- Add ilachi powder, then add fried gavvalu in the syrup and mix well till each shell is coated with syrup.Leave it for few min.
- Once they are cooled, store them in air tight container.
Thursday, 28 July 2011
- Bambino Semya : 2cups
- Water : 3cups
- Sugar :1 1/2 cup
- Cardamom : 2
- Cashew nuts : 10
- Raisins: 15
- Ghee : 4-6 tb sp
- In a Pan, add 2 tbsp ghee .Add cashews and raisins and let if fry.Once it is done, take them from pan add semya.Fry till it changes color to light brown.
- Now in same vessel add 3 cups of water and bring it boil.Now add fried semya,ilachi powder .Cover it and let it cook.
- Once it is cooked completely add sugar and mix well.Add remaining ghee, saffron strings and mix.Leave it for 3-5 min and take off from the heat.
- Add fried raisins,cashews and serve.
Note: Donot add sugar in boiling water, as it will take long time to cook semya.
Friday, 8 July 2011
- Tindora\dondakaya : 2 lbs
- Onion : 1
- Ginger : a medium piece
- Fresh\frozen coconut powder : 2 Tbs
- Green Chilies : 5
- All ingredients of Tadaka\popu
- In a kadai add oil . Do the tempering. Now add chopped onion let it fry for 2-3 min.
- Add chopped tindora, and little water.Let it cook.In the mean time grind ginger, green chilies, enough salt,coconut powder to a smooth paste.
- Once tindora is perfectly cooked add ginger and green chili paste and give a toss.Let it cook for few mins.
Serve with rice and a drop of ghee.Rice mixed with plain dal and the curry tastes awesome.
Give a try :)
Note: You can pressure cook tindora pieces separately and add popu.
Monday, 2 May 2011
- Crushed Pineapple cans : 2 (20 0z each)
- Condensed milk - 1 (14oz)
- Sour Cream - 6 oz
- Cool whip cream - 1 (12 oz)
- Mix last 3 ingredients till bubbles are formed either with wish or hand blender.Make sure that mixture is not too watery.
- Strain water from pineapple cans and add crushed pineapple to the milk and cream mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hrs before serving. Pineapple delight is ready to serve.
Note:If you want this mixture to be thick, add gelatin.You can soften gelatin in cold water and add it to the mixture.If you prefer more sourness to dish add more sour cream.
Wednesday, 13 April 2011
- Mango Pulp : 1 tin
- Fruits - grapes,honey dew,water melon,apple,cantaloupe( You can add any fruit as per your taste)
Add mango pulp,milk , sugar in blender jar and blend it for few seconds and refrigerate.There is no measurement for milk and pulp ratio.If you want mixture to be thick add less milk.Add sugar as per your sweet level.
Cut all fruits and add them in mango mixture 1 hr before serving.
This is my entry to event Mango recipes event.
- Rice : 1 cup
- Moong Dal : 1 cup
- Water : 5 cups
- Salt: as needed
- Hing : a pinch
- Turmeric : 1/2 t sp
- Ghee : 2tb sp
- Cumin seeds : 1 t sp
- Pepper cons: 1 t sp
- Urad Dal : 1 t sp
- Green Chilies : 3
- Curry leaves : 2 strings
- Kaju : 10
- Wash rice and moong dal. Add 5 cups of water, salt, chopped ginger, hing, turmeric ,rice, moong dal in pressure cooker and cook for 3 visils.
- In a kadai, add ghee for tempering.Once ghee is hot, add urad Dal, cumin seeds, pepper cons, kaju, hing,chopped chilies, curry leaves.
- Add this tempering cooked rice,moong dal mixture and mix well.
Serve with allam chutney or sambar.
- Add water as per your interest.If you want pongal to be in mushy texture add 5 cups or if you want it to be like normal rice just add double the quantity of rice and dal.
- Adjust chilies and salt as per your taste.
Tuesday, 18 January 2011
- Channa Dal : 2 cups
- Bajji Mirchi : 10 nos
- Green Chilies : 3
- Ginger : 2 inches
- Soak Channa Dal for 4 hrs.Grind green chilies, ginger,Channa Dal as we grind for Channa dal vada.
- Now take bajji mirchi and cut vertically.With a fork take off all the seeds inside the chili.This reduced spice level of chili.
- Heat Oil. Take a plastic sheet, and place one bajji mirchi.Cover mirchi with vada batter all sides.In the same manner cover all mirchi.
- Add these covered mirchi in hot oil and fry them till they turn to golden yellow color.
Serve hot with any chutney or Tomato Ketchup.